Majolica Wall Bracket with a Lion and Cherub support

SANSEBASTIANO E MORENO (worked 1884-1888)

Majolica Wall Bracket with a Lion and Cherub support (Italy, c.1884)

Sold Sold
Glazed polychrome majolica decorated with opaque enamelled glazes
Impressed mark Sansebastiano & Moreno on the reverse


55.00cm high
55.00cm wide
30.00cm deep
(21.65 inches high)
(21.65 inches wide)
(11.81 inches deep)
Request information about this work of art
View all images on one page

Exhibition History

Turin, Turin Exhibition, 1884: a beautiful bracket with a cupid holding onto the forelock of a lion.(1)

Description / Expertise

Sansebastiano e Moreno was founded in 1884 by the sculptor Michele Sansebastiano and the dealer Cesare Moreno and disbanded in 1888 after Moreno’s death. Giuseppe Pennasilico, the painter, worked with them during the mid-period and left the factory in 1887; and the sculptors De Mattei and Bianchi and the painter Villemain worked there in the final years. After the factory had gone into liquidation, it was taken over firstly by the Villa family, later by the Quinzio family and finally by the Poggi family, who all probably continued to use the S & M moulds. Terracotta’s by the Sansebastiano & Moreno factory are rare.

Sansebastiano & Moreno took part in the Turin Exhibition of 1884 where the factory exhibited about a hundred objects and won a silver medal. Fron amongst this great array of ceramics, the critics noted ... una bellissima mensola a un putto infiggente una punta sulla fronte di un leone.(1) The following year they exhibited at the Anversa National Exhibition and in 1888 at the Barcelona Universal Exhibition.

Michele Sansebastiano's most noted public sculptures are: the statue of Christ and St Peter (Genoa, Church of S. Maria delle Vigne); Cariatides of the Palazzo dei Giganti (Genoa, XX Settembre Street); Cippo Tagliaferro, Cippo Romanengo-Bussa, the Barbieri Tomb (Genoa, Cimitero monumentale di Staglieno, a major cemetery in Genoa); The Monument of the Republic of Brazil (Belém, Brezil, Stato del Parà); Fountain with cherub (Novi Ligure, Via Roma) and Tomb Vernetti and Tomb Cambiaggio-Minetto (Novi Ligure cemetary).

1. From the article published in Caffaro, 18 september 1884, and quoted in: Graziana Grosso Paglieri, Una fabbrica genovese di ceramiche. Stud. Genuensi 7, 1989 page 72.