The Flood

NORMAN ADAMS RA (1927-2005) Biography
MODERN BRITISH (20th Century ) Biography

The Flood (England, 1961)

Sold Sold
Oil on canvas
Signed with initials and dated '61 lower right, inscribed The Flood/ Norman Adams/ 1961 on the reverse

Dimensions

127.40cm high
152.50cm wide
(50.16 inches high)
(60.04 inches wide)
Request information about this work of art
View all images on one page

Provenance

Guy Barton, Aughton Old Hall, Aughton, Nr Halton, Lancaster

Exhibition History

London, Roland, Browse and Delbanco
Bradford City Art Gallery

Recent Solo Exhibitions

2001 -Beaux Arts Gallery, London 2001- North House Gallery, Manningtree, Essex 2000- Linton Court Gallery, Settle, North Yorkshire 1998- Beaux Arts Gallery, London 1997- Beaux Arts Gallery, Bath 1996- Beaux Arts Gallery, London 1995- Royal Academy of Arts (Sackler Galleries) 1994- Dean Clough, Halifax, Yorkshire 1992/3- Christopher Hull Gallery, London 1992/3- Bruton Street Gallery, London

Work in Public Collections

Abbot Hall, Kendal Aberdeen City Art Gallery Carlisle City Art Gallery Cartwright Hall, Bradford Edinburgh Museum of Modern Art Gulbenkian Foundation, Lisbon Hatton Gallery, Newcastle Leeds City Art Gallery Leeds University Southampton City Art Gallery St Martins College, Lancaster Tate Gallery, London Wakefield City Art Gallery

Description / Expertise

Norman Adams studied at Harrow School of Art from 1940 to 1946 and subsequently at the Royal College of Art from 1948 to 1951. His teaching career began in the 1950s when he taught part-time at St Alban's Art School. He then went on to become Head of Painting at Manchester College of Art from 1962 to 1970, visiting tutor at Leeds University from 1973 to 1976, and Professor of Painting at the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne from 1981 to 1986. He was elected Keeper of the Royal Academy in 1986, and upon retiring from this position after nine years, he was appointed the Academy's Professor of Painting Emeritus in 1995.

Adams's first solo exhibition was held in 1952 at Gimpel Fils, London, and biennial one-man shows were subsequently held from 1953 at Roland, Browse and Delbanco. 1953 also marked the year in which he designed the stage set and costumes for A Mirror of Witches, produced by the Royal Ballet at Covent Garden and again for the Sadler's Wells production of Saudades in 1955.

Commissions have played a large part in Adams's career, his first being the painting of a mural for Broad Lane Comprehensive School, Coventry in 1954. In 1967 he was commissioned by the Oxford University Press to illustrate parts of the Old Testament. He went on to paint murals for St Anselm's Church, Kennington, London in 1971 and to make fourteen ceramic panels of the Stations of the Cross for the Roman Catholic Church at Coffee Hall in Milton Keynes in 1975. More recently, in 1994 Adams received another commission for the Fourteen Stations of the Cross, this time in oils, for St Mary's Church, Mulberry Street, Manchester. These were installed in November 1995, having first been exhibited in the Sackler Galleries at the Royal Academy. A retrospective of Adams's work was held in the Diploma Galleries at the Royal Academy in 1988 and he has recently had a series of solo exhibitions at the Beaux Arts Galleries, both in London and Bath.